An ArSHA update on AAC referral process and procedures. Please take our survey!
On January 1, 2021 The Department of Developmental Disabilities released its revised 310-P policy regarding medical equipment, medical devices, and medical supplies including augmentative and alternative communication devices (AAC). Simultaneously, DDD also transitioned the management of AAC to two of its contracted managed care organizations, United HealthCare and MercyCare.
In collaboration with the managed care organizations, ArSHA is gathering the most current and up to date information on the new managed care process in order to bring its members a webinar/seminar that will cover:
· The new AAC referral process
· MCO Timelines and Infographics for both United HealthCare and MercyCare
· How to handle prior authorizations for AAC evaluations
· How/where to find an AAC provider for clients who need an AAC evaluation
· How to accurately document need for a speech generating device in a speech-language eval
· Documentation demands in the MCO model
· Considerations for medical necessity and medical justification
· Resources for SLPs and other professionals to navigate the new MCO process
ArSHA continues to advocate for clients who need speech generating devices. See our previous blog posts about the AAC Crisis here: https://wp.me/paWsjr-1TW
ArSHA continues to educate our members about ongoing issues related to AAC in the state of Arizona. You can find a link to the newly revised 310-P policy here: https://des.az.gov/sites/default/files/media/Division_AdSS_Medical_Policy_Manual_Chapter_310-P_Medical_Equipment_Medical_Devices_Medical_Supplies_112520.pdf
Please help the AAC committee! Complete our quick five question survey regarding the new MCO process here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YCV6858
PLEASE LEAVE YOUR QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS regarding the new MCO process for AAC in the comments to this article on ArSHA’s Facebook page. The committee will monitor members comments and questions, and try to address them during the webinar.
Thank you for your support! You can support ArSHA and AAC in Arizona by purchasing a “Take AAC-tion” T-shirt or other product from our ArSHA store. The link is here: http://www.arshastore.com/